Thursday, April 02, 2015

The Fascination with Cara Delevingne

For more on this article, click here.


About a week ago, my social media timeline went abuzz when the trailer of John Green’s much anticipated Paper Towns hit the internet. And while the story of the movie is quite fascinating and will surely bring teens and non-teens alike to tears, what made it magical was the appearance of Cara Delevingne.

As a disclaimer, I have never been the kind of woman who adored models and not because I’m anti beautiful women, but simply because I never really connected with them in a way my other friends did. I just never seem to get it until I came across the ethereal Cara Delevingne.

Cara first hit international stardom when she was named model of the year at the British Fashion Awards that was soon followed by gigs for Chanel, Burberry, H&M, and Victoria’s Secret to name a few. Cara then landed on every single runway from New York to Paris but this was merely the tip of the iceberg for the 22 year old who also quickly became a social media sensation. As expected, Cara didn’t just take the fashion world by the storm but also engaged Hollywood through her many diverse talents that bring the term supermodel on an entirely different level.




As seen on her social media sites, Cara isn’t like any picture perfect supermodel. Very much unlike the supermodels before her, the former tomboy is quick-witted and isn’t afraid to have fun even at the expense of breaking rigorous rules imposed upon models. My fascination with Cara began early last year when she was linked with Michelle Rodriguez, for someone who has guiltily followed Entertainment Tonight and People Magazine all her life, seeing someone so successful be so upfront about her choices in life was well, both inspiring and encouraging. Also unlike models who hide their tattoos, Cara’s tastefully covered in them, another way she defies convention and sets out on her own.

Her raw honesty about who she is doesn’t stop projects from coming. In fact, more and more projects are coming her way because she is unabashedly who she is and for some reason, I can’t help but admire her for it.

And while some of her activities may be too wild for my taste, I can’t help but applaud her for being who she is. In a world where most people would hide their true identities to the point of being unrecognizable, Cara fearlessly shows the world that you can be different and still be successful. Cara taught me that you don’t have to be ashamed to be your own person because no matter what, someone out there will appreciate you for being that bold.

It’s refreshing to see a woman who stands up for what she believes in and authentically doesn’t care what other people think of her. For someone who’s been caged in her box for so long, it’s inspiring to know that I can make my choices, be firm about them, and still have the life I dream of having.

And most importantly, she unknowingly encouraged me to be the woman I desire to be regardless of what anyone around me says.

No comments: