Saturday, February 07, 2015

The Romanticizing of Christian Bautista

To ordinary people, celebrities are perceived as characters instead of real life human beings. Certain labels concocted by how the public sees them usually define these artists and while it’s entertaining to believe that they lead perfect lives, this is often not the case.

Christian Bautista is a name that needs no introduction. Being in the business for eleven years, he has earned success through concerts, albums, TV shows, movies, and even theater. Just like any celebrity, it is easy to dismiss him as just another crooner, however sitting down with him proved otherwise.

For one thing, it is interesting to note that Christian was once an insecure high school student. His rise to fame has been chronicled several times over the years but I couldn’t quite place this information about him.

It was through this unexpected confession the layers of image embedded through the years peeled away slowly. Suddenly, he wasn’t just a performer that headlined sold out concerts but felt just like any regular guy with who went to the same high school as I did. 

I couldn’t help but ask what the biggest misconception is about him and he instantly replied with a candid, “That I’m antiseptic, too light, too formal, too serious. You have to know me ng matagal and sit down with me to know who I really am and not just judge me with 140 characters.” 

Christian went on to share how he had difficulty transitioning into the business after completing his Landscape Architecture degree from the University of the Philippines, Diliman especially since he was naturally an introvert. 

But he said that over time, he learned to crawl out of his shell slowly, “It was more of a smoothening around the edges kind of change. Naging positive siya because I learned to open up more, mas naging relaxed ako.” 


Through the years, Christian has proven his staying power in the business switching from singing to acting and even hosting while appearing to retain what has endeared him to his audience from the beginning of his career, his good nature that seems to be a product of a healthy upbringing.

When asked what inspires him to staygrounded, he quickly credited his family who has been supportive of him from the star and relates it to how he was able to survive the business with his values intact, “Keeping the value for me means going back to my roots in doing the best to be a good example. My family including my friends and family honestly talk to me when I cross the line.” 

It is his family, who has also adjusted to his career that has been the pillar for Christian, especially when it came to making major life and career decisions, “When given options, I will make choices based on my values, kung ano core ko. To some my choices may be impractical or boring but it’s the root of who I am and it is what works for me.”

And in a field where turnover is high, he says it’s his loyal fans that got him through the trying times of his career, “Ang hirap, I wanted to quit, I wanted to stop kasi wala na palang may gusto sa akin but I overcame that when I saw (during my shows) na ang dami pa palang naiinsipre, na kahit hindi 2 million meron parin palang naiinspire na 100,000 or 500,000 and that was what kept me going.”

It is his love for his craft that fueled his determination to stay despite the difficult years coupled with the fact that it is in performing that he finds his purpose, “Ang sarap na nahanap ko agad yung purpose ko so I have to do good so whether it’s a good year or not, at least I know my purpose.” 

In a moment of candid honesty, he was also quick to share that he views success differently these days, “Before when I was younger, it was more of number one album, number one concert, now it’s more of staying power and longevity. Steadiness and resilience.”

And when asked what he would say to hisyounger self who he says would be surprised at how his life turned out to be, Christian broke into a boyish grin and with a sigh replied, “You’ll be fine.”

No comments: