Sunday, April 15, 2012

Want.

When I was in third grade, I clearly remember wanting something more than anything that I have ever wanted in my entire life: a tamagotchi.

Although for the life of me, I could never understand why anyone would want a virtual pet living in the pocket of my black and white uniform that inconveniently whimpers when a teacher passes by. But still everyone said it was cool and I wanted one too.

However my parents who were on a tight budget at that time refused to give me something so wasteful and I settled for a new copy of The Baby-Sitters Club instead (now I realize it was the better option).

Come to think of it, that should have been a fair warning to my older self: there would be times that you would want things but they don't necessarily find its way to you.

As I got older, the tamagotchi began to manifest in other ways: the star basketball player, the top of the line cellphone, the perfect body, the perfect grades, the magazine feature etc etc.

And also as I got older I have also encountered moments wherein you don't really get the happy ending you were hoping for and although I am not proud of it, there were also times of over the top whining and crying simply because I didn't get what I wanted and what I thought was the best for me (self pity parties included).

As much as I don't see specific dreams come true everyday I no longer whine or whimper simply because when you truly take the time to write down the beautiful things in my life that were only once dreams, I get knock off my feet.

God has been so gracious.

And I always feel ashamed of all the tantrums that I have thrown, in the privacy of my own room-- thankfully and how much God's grace extends to me on a daily basis (I am so glad that His grace overflows or else I may have used up my share)

And so on days when I see the thing I want more than anything in the world with someone else, I no longer feel like running away or crying or indulging myself in tremendous amounts of self-pity, instead I take a deep breath and thank God for the moment when I too will have what my heart has been longing for, but until then walking hand in hand with Him is more than enough.

PS: Also, I have learned that being happy for others and seeing their dreams come true is so much better than constantly crying in my room where there is no sunlight or cheesecake.

No comments: